If you are the proud owner of an antique rug, you are probably well aware of the value it has, and of the long-term investment, such a precious rug can be. The only condition is that you take good care of the carpet, its maintenance, cleaning and overall care.
There are some tips from professional carpet cleaners and carpet dealers, on how to clean antique rugs which you might want to know, in order to guarantee that your antique rug remains as beautiful and as valuable for a long time.
- Keep your antique rug out of the direct sunlight because the sun rays will cause the rug’s colours to fade, and the entire are which gets hit by the light will become lighter and duller. This means that you should ensure that either your antique carpet is placed in a spot where no direct sun rays can touch it, or use thick curtains, blinds or shades to keep your rug protected as often as possible.
- To ensure that your antique rug gets worn evenly, you should periodically rotate it, or change the placing of the furniture on top of it so that the pathways change too. This will allow for the light to affect the entire rug evenly and will also ensure that the rug will get worn and used evenly.
- You should avoid placing furniture on it or walking on it whatsoever if your antique rug is so valuable. This is the reason why people hang their precious rugs on their walls.
- Take care of the fringes of your antique rug by straitening them by flipping each side of the rug upside down, shaking gently and placing them back on the floor.
- Use a natural bristled soft broom to sweep the dirt and residue from your antique carpet. It is even better to take it outdoors and shake it or give it a gentle beating on the back side in order to remove as much dust and dirt as possible.
- If you prefer to use a vacuum cleaner, never use the beater bar or the brush attachments. Use the nozzle, and clean thoroughly on both sides. Don’t vacuum the fringe at a high suction level, because it can get damaged, tangled and torn.
- If a spill occurs, immediately blot off all the excess liquid.
- To avoid staining, monitor small children closely and train your pets. Also, avoid drinking and eating over the antique rug, as well as performing other actions which could cause spillage and staining.