You have problems potty training your pet rabbit? This could lead to some smelly and nasty stains on your carpets and rugs. Thankfully, there are easy and efficient ways to remove this type of stain. Here is how to clean rabbit urine from carpet.
- Mix a 1 to 1 solution of lukewarm water and white vinegar – this is the cheapest and most natural solution
- Use paper towels or a clean cloth to absorb as much of the urine as you can from the stain.
- After that use a clean cloth to apply the solution to the stain.
- Let the solution sit and do its job
- Rinse off the solution by dabbing the spot with a cloth dampened with clean warm water.
- Let the area dry off completely – you can use a hairdryer or iron to dry it faster.
If you notice that the stain and smell are still there, apply more water on the stain and continue dabbing and rinsing it off.
What Else You Should Keep in Mind
In case the vinegar method doesn’t do the job, you should try using a commercial cleaning product. Always test a new carpet cleaning product on a small inconspicuous area before using it on the entire carpet.
One more thing: when you buy a carpet cleaning or stain removal product, make sure it is safe for children and pets too. Bunnies can be very sensitive to certain chemicals and the fumes which they emit, so it is always a good idea to resort to the all-natural cleaning solutions at home.
To remove the remaining odour from your carpet after you have cleaned the stain, wait for the carpet to dry completely and sprinkle it generously with baking soda. Let it sit all night and vacuum it off on the next day. Baking soda is an excellent and perfectly safe natural deodorizer and odour remover.
If you have a continuous problem with your bunny peeing on your carpet, you should buy some enzyme-based urine treatment product from your pet store. It will neutralise the smell of rabbit urine. Spray the spots and let the enzymes do their job and let it dry completely. After that use the water and white vinegar solution to completely disinfect the spot. If you have a home carpet washer, you can use it to wash the carpet thoroughly after the stains are neutralised and removed.