Marble flooring is beautiful and durable, but still needs some special treatment, so that it remains good looking, stain-free and clean at all times. Here are some tips on how to clean marble floorings and prevent staining:
- Always clean a spill from your marble floor as quickly as possible, to prevent staining.
- For regular washing of your marble flooring, use a soft mop and a tiny bit of mild dishwashing detergent in warm water.
When removing a spill, always blot and never rub, so that you don’t spread the spill or rub it on the surface of your beautiful marble flooring.
– To remove spots from marble floorings, use warm water with just a little bit of mild dishwashing liquid or washing detergent for delicate clothes. Mop the floor to remove the dirt. If you are not sure about the detergent you have picked, try it out on a hidden inconspicuous bit of your marble flooring first!
– To remove scuff marks and dirt from your pretty marble floor, you should us special marble cleaning detergent which has a neutral pH or a few drops of mild dishwashing detergent on a soft microfiber cloth. Rub the scuff mark in the direction of the marble grain. Rub in straight lines and always avoid circular motions! Dry off and buff with a dry cloth.
– Use short and gentle strokes to clean the dirt from your marble floor. Mop once again but with plain water to remove any soap residue.
When you are done washing your marble floor, always use a dry clean microfiber cloth to dry it off and buff it. Leaving your marble floor to dry by itself will cause watermarks to appear all over its surface.
What To Avoid When Cleaning Your Marble Floors
Here are some tips on what to avoid using for cleaning and treating your marble flooring:
- Stay away from conventional cleaning detergents, and stock to the specialised marble cleaning products.
- Avoid using ceramic tile cleaning solutions for your marble floor, because it can cause serious dulling.
- Don’t be tempted to use vinegar or lemon juice to clean your marble floor, because the acids will damage the surface.
- Stay away from alkaline products. Stick to the ones with neutral pH.
- Don’t use wire scouring pads and rough tools to rub or clean your marble flooring.
- Avoid using a vacuum cleaner, because both the hose and cleaning brushes, as well as the vacuum cleaner itself, can scratch the surface of your floor.